When in Munich: An Assortment of Things I Learned in Germany

As those of you who keep up with me in any capacity undoubtedly know by now, I recently returned from a mission trip to Munich, Germany. While it has been wonderful to be back in the states, I've spent much of the past week and a half feeling an odd mix of frustration and confusion. I've had enough trouble sorting out the things I experienced/learned for my own purposes, so attempting to explain them to others has felt like a strenuous exercise in word vomit. I do, however, feel both a desire and a need to explain specifically what happened both within and outside of me during my time in Munich, and I'm hoping that writing will be a more effective method of doing this. I think I've done a decent job of sharing what I did in Germany, but less so sharing what I actually learned in Germany. With that being said, I give you an incomplete, jumbled, and likely long-winded of the things I think I learned in Munich.

1. Sanctification is a gradual process, specifically in regards to our commitment to discipleship. Previously, I think I've had a tendency to overwhelm myself with hypothetical questions that test my level of commitment to Jesus: "Would I be willing to spend the rest of my life as a missionary in a closed country? Would I be willing to give up the prospect of having a traditional career or a family for the sake of the Kingdom?" In other words, "would I be willing to walk away from it all if God asked me to?" I think this is one of the many areas where God's holiness and compassion intersect. While the Lord has the right to ask us to give up anything for the sake of the Kingdom if he chooses, He is also all too familiar with our weakness and fear (Hebrews 4:15). He knows that we are dust, that we will remain susceptible to the forces of sin as long as we are on this Earth, and has immense compassion on us in spite of this (Psalm 103:14). Instead of immediately asking for it all as soon as we show the tiniest interest in discipleship, he asks for smaller things first...smaller things that are not insignificant, but that are more feasible given our frail nature. He very well may ask for it all eventually. But he doesn't do it without wooing us first, without making it crystal clear that He is good, trustworthy, and will meet our needs in ways that we could never anticipate. God's demand for our affection and His affection for us are never in conflict. They are always working simultaneously, using both pain and pleasure to bring us to greater holiness and intimacy with Christ.

2. When Jesus told the disciples that it was for their good that He was going away (John 16:7), He was operating under the working assumption that the disciples (and eventually you and me) would make a concerted effort to continue on the work He was doing. The very purpose for which the Holy Spirit was sent was to equip and empower us to continue to allow Jesus to testify about Himself through us. When you really think about it, the notion that the God of the universe would choose us to carry on his business seems unfathomable, but for reasons I will never fully understand He did. When we deny this reality and shirk this responsibility, the whole foundation on which Christian discipleship is built begins to crumble.

3. The Church's most pressing calling is the proclamation of the Gospel to those who are suffering. While it is indeed true that salvation is available to every man through Jesus, we will find our most receptive audience among those who are weak, whom the rest of the world has deemed foolish and not worthy of attention (1 Corinthians 1:27). Satan would love nothing more than for us to leave the fate of the persecuted to those who do not know God. When we share the love of Jesus through meeting the physical and spiritual needs of those who are hurting, we share hope with those who will be in the most viable place to receive it.

4. The immense value in Christian community is discovered among difference. My story is not your story, and your strengths are not my strengths. When we choose to enter into intentional and Christ-centered relationships in spite of difference, we can spur each other onto holiness in ways that we could never do on our own. The fact that you are different than me means that you can help me see "blind spots" that I might rather ignore if left to my own devices. Never run from difference. Embrace it.

5. Don't be afraid to give yourself grace. Be even less afraid to give others grace.

6. Friends don't let friends walk in the bike lane.

7. The main purpose of Bible reading isn't just to figure out how we are supposed to act, but to fixate our hearts and minds on the surpassing worthiness of God above everything else. Left to my own devices, I am prone to seek satisfaction in just about everything except Jesus. Spending time in the Word puts me in a place where I can be reminded of who God is, who I am, and the extent to which His promises should shape how I interact with the rest of my day.

8. German waffles are far superior to American waffles.

9. The pain of a long hike is worth it for a nice mountain view and some good apple strudel.

10. God is relentlessly and unwaveringly faithful towards His children. This is not to say that He will always give us what we think we want, nor will he spare us from hardship...but he will hold back nothing amid his resolve to make us more like Jesus and to draw us closer to himself. He is working things for our good and His glory in ways that we can't presently understand, and His goodness towards us is the ultimate fulfillment of everything we could ever need.

If you have questions about any of these, or want to hear more about the trip, you might just have to meet up with me in person sometime :)


Comments

Post a Comment